Today, people are aware of the deadly side effects of allopathic drugs, and are turning towards Ayurveda. Ayurveda not only provides long term solutions but also prevents recurrence of the disease. Here, we focus on the Ayurvedic treatment of hair problems.
Hair is a filamentous outgrowth of protein, found only on mammals. The average human head has about 100,000 hair follicles. Everyday, we lose around 70-100 hairs and new hair replaces the old. Any disturbance in this gives rise to baldness.
Hair loss is the most common problem of today`s youth. Faulty eating habits, stress, lack of sleep, overuse of chemicals, etc, are to be blamed.
Diet and lifestyle are two major factors that influence the health of hair. Poor diet, illness and deficiencies of any particular vitamin and mineral affect the quality of hair and problems like dandruff, thinning hair, balding, premature graying, etc, spoil the hair.
In an individual, the condition of the hair is a reflection of his complete constitution. If the person is not healthy then the health of the hair will be deplorable.
For example, if a person has vata constitution, the hairs are dark, dry, coarse, wiry or frizzy and tend to tangle easily; are prone to dullness, split ends and dandruff. Those comprising Pitta constitution have hair that is light brown, blonde or red and tends to grow gray or thin prematurely and is fine and silky with a tendency to become oily. Hair are thick, wavy and shiny if the composition is of kapha.
Regular cleaning and brushing of hair is very important. When the hair is brushed, oil-producing glands in the scalp get stimulated. This natural oil makes the hair glossy and healthy. To give extra shine to the hair, after washing, rinse the hair with some lemon juice mixed in a cup of warm water.
Some common hair related problems are as follows:
Dandruff Dry skin flaking off the scalp and itchiness is referred to as dandruff. The aggravation of Vata generally causes this dryness.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of camphor to half a cup of coconut or neem oil. Store it in glass container
Dosage: Massage this oil into the scalp before bed.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon of castor, mustard and coconut oil each and massage into the scalp
3. Mix one part of lemon juice with two parts of coconut oil. Massage into the roots of the hair regularly
Dosage: Wash with warm water after three to four hours or leave overnight.
When the amount of hair loss is higher than the normal hair fall that takes place due to the change in environment, increasing age or growth of new hairs, it is referred to as hair loss problem that needs special care. Improper or poor diet, exposure to a lot of chemicals or cosmetics, hormonal imbalance, stress, anxiety and mental tension are some causes of hair loss.
1. Massage the scalp gently with coconut or almond oil daily for 10 to 15 minutes
2. Boil neem leaves in water. Cool, strain and rinse hair with it
3. Increase green leafy vegetables, salads, milk, fruits and sprouts in the diet. Take more proteins, milk, buttermilk, yeast, wheat germ, soya beans, whole grains and nuts
Premature graying of hair
Graying of hair is a natural process that happens with increasing age, but if the hair starts graying before the age of 35, it is termed as premature graying that occurs due to the aggravation of Pitta Desha. Excessive intake of tea, coffee, alcohol, and meat, fried, oily, greasy, spicy, sour, and acidic foods increases pita and leads to graying prematurely.
1. Apply a paste made from 2-tsp. henna powder, 1-tsp. curd, 1-tsp. fenugreek seed powder, 1 tbsp. coffee, 2-tbsp. mint juice and 2-tbsp. basil juice. Apply this paste to the hair for two hours. For a darker color, leave this paste in for 3 to 4 hours. Wash hair with any natural shampoo
2. Grate some fresh ginger, mix with honey and place it in a jar. Eat 1 teaspoon everyday
Itchy scalp:The dust and pollution can make your hair dry and your scalp to get itchy. Remedies
3. Add 1 teaspoon of camphor to half a cup of coconut oil and store in glass container
Dosage: Massage this oil into the scalp before bed.
4. Grind some jasmine roots with lime juice. Wash the hair and scalp with it
The causes for these hair conditions are as follows: Excess of Pitta dosha in the body
1. Excessive intake of tea, coffee, alcohol, meats and excessive smoking
2. Eating too much fried, oily, greasy, spicy, sour and acidic foods
3. Intake of too many chemical medicines
4. Low blood circulation, anemia, general weakness after disease, stress
5. Anxiety and mental tension
6. Chronic diseases like typhoid fever, presence of dandruff or lice and hormonal imbalance
7. Use natural shampoo or soap to clean the hair
8. Use amla (embilica officinalis), Shikakai (Acacia concinna) for washing the hair
9. Enhance oiling and massaging of scalp
10. Use coconut oil or mustard oil at least three times a week
11. Use medicated oils like 'Mahabhringraj oil', 'Amla oil' and 'Arnica oil'. Put oil on the scalp and massage gently into the roots of the hair
12. Maintain a regular bowel movement everyday
13. The diet should contain green, leafy vegetables, salads, milk, fruits and sprouts. Take more proteins, milk, buttermilk, yeast, wheat germ, soya bean and vitamin A
14. Exercise regularly
15. A special Ayurvedic preparation made from Bhringraj (Eclipta elba), Amla, corals, iron and black sesame seeds is very useful and even stops the graying of hair
16. Rub the scalp vigorously after washing the hair. It increases the blood circulation, and activates the sebaceous glands
17. A mixture of lettuce and spinach juice is good to drink to induce hair growth. The juice of alfalfa mixed with that of carrot and lettuce juice is also good.
18. Daily application of coconut oil mixed with lime juice on the hair is also beneficial. Applying juice of green coriander leaves on the head is also good.