Method A popular delicacy, chicken curry is famous in several Caribbean and Asian countries. As the name suggests it`s delicate tender chicken served with a sauce that goes well as accompaniment. It is the curry in this dish that makes the difference. Different regions have inspired and implemented different selection of ingredients, spices and herbs to modify or retain the authenticity of the chicken curry. Some styles of chicken curry that have made an impact are, `Thai green chicken curry`, `Chettinad Kozhi Kulambhu`, `Karahi Pakistani curry` and so on. There are several schools of thought about chicken curry and curry chicken being two different styles of dish.
Whatever the discussions be Chicken Curry is what generally one asks for more than curry chicken. Served with butter naan, steamed rice or string hoppers (idiyappam) and many more different accompaniments, the chicken curry is another dish that`s a worthwhile eat.
If using coconut milk break open one full coconut and scrape out the coconut. You could also use knife to cut smaller pieces. Chuck the pieces in the blending jar with a glass of water. Once ground to a fine paste, strain the milk out of the coconut. Half coconut should yield approximately 1- 1/2 cup of coconut milk depending on the amount of water used.
1) In a heavy bottom wok add oil and heat. Add cloves and cardamoms fry till you get the aroma.
2) Add the chopped garlic, and let it turn golden brown followed by chopped onions.
3) Once golden brown add the chopped tomatoes and fry till well mashed and oil surfaces.
4) Add the seasoning and spice powders and mix well.
5)Once the seasoning is well incorporated let it cook till the oil surfaces or leaves the sides of the pan.
6) Once done completely simmer the flame and pour the curd / coconut milk and mix well.
7) Add the chicken pieces and give a good mix to ensure the chicken is well coated in the prepared mixture.
8) Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes uncovered.
9) Add water , stir again and cover with a lid. And let it cook on medium heat for 15- 20 minutes.
10) Simmer the flame in the last 10 minutes.
11) Once the chicken is cooked and tender let it sit in the wok for 5 minutes.
12) Serve hot with steamed rice or accompaniments of your choice. Garnish with chopped coriander.
1) If you cook the chicken on absolutely low flame it would take longer to cook. However, the slow cooking will tenderize the chicken and make the meat soft so it would simply melt in your mouth. This technique also helps with the infusion of the spices in the meat in a better fashion.
2) You can make the curry or sauce rich by adding saffron and cashew paste.