Method Cooked in different styles around the world, chicken fry has its own delectable twists. It makes for a snack, side dish, bar food, accompaniments and so on. Once considered poor man`s meat, chicken has today become popular with people becoming more health conscious.
In southern India, one of the primary ways to cook chicken is to marinate and fry with spices.
In western countries, milk is used to marinate and tenderize the chicken with spices like pepper and herbs like oregano & thyme are used. In India, Pakistan, Middle eastern countries the meat is coated with lamb and pinch of sugar to tenderize.
Making chicken fry at home might seem simple however it requires a certain amount of tender love and care.
Crush the peppercorn and take all the marinade ingredients in a bowl; mix well and make a paste. Apply the paste all over the chicken pieces and let it rest in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
1) In a heavy bottom wok take oil and heat.
2) Add the ginger & garlic and fry till you get the aroma.
3) Add the onions and let it brown.
4) Add the seasoning and let it fry till oil surfaces.
5) Now add the chicken pieces and mix the chicken well with the masala ensuring that its well incorporated.
6) Let the chicken cook till crisp and golden brown.
7) Fry some sliced onions and garlic till golden brown.
8) Garnish the chicken with the browned onions and garlic along with chopped coriander and spring onions, and serve with accompaniments of your choice.
1) The marinade for chicken fry is not necessarily kept for 3-4 hours. You could let the meat sit for half hour and it`s still good to go.
2) You could either deep fry or shallow fry the chicken too. If deep frying or shallow frying, you could dust the chicken pieces in corn flour and then fry.
3) You could just coat the chicken pieces with chili, coriander, cumin, fennel and fry
4) Vinegar can be substituted for lemon juice.
Time taken: Resting & Prep time- 3-4 hrs, Cooking time- 25-35 mins