Method Biryani always conjures a warm feeling and the thought of devouring it is only natural. Whatever its origin maybe, this dish
deserves a lot of tender love and care while cooking and eating. It`s no different from any other biryani but for the
technique. The sealing of the edges while cooking gives it its name - a technique even experts use with complete precision.
a) In a bowl, add all the marinade ingredients and make a smooth paste.
b) Apply this paste all over the meat.
c) Cling wrap the meat and let sit in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or over night.
a) While the marinated meat is in the fridge prepare the long grain rice.
b) Pre-soak the basmati rice in water for 10-15 minutes or follow the instructions mentioned on the cover.
c) Cook the rice with all the condiments as well as the saffron strands soaked in water. Once partly cooked, strain in a
colander and keep aside giving a gentle stir ensuring it is only par boiled.
1) In a heavy bottom wok add ghee and oil, and heat.
2) Add the onions and fry till brown. Caramelize with the sugar.
3) Add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and continue to fry with onions.
4) Add chopped tomato and fry till mashed.
5) Reduce heat completely and add milk. Add the spice powders and stir well ensuring the milk is not curdled.
6) Add the marinated meat to this masala.
7) Give a good stir to ensure the masala is well incorporated.
8) Add the biryani masala, an important ingredient for biryani.
9) Cover and let it simmer.
10) Ensure the meat is not completely cooked.
11) Once half done, remove from flame and keep aside.
1) The final stage of dum biryani is the most important. It`s all about layering.
2) Take a broad mouthed vessel with a heavy base to prepare biryani
3) Add a layer of ghee rice, followed by onion, coriander, ghee, and saffron milk. Top it with the cooked meat.
4) Repeat the process till all the rice and meat is well placed.
5) Cover the vessel with a heavy lid or place a heavy object over the lid.
6) Knead some dough just like you`d do for roti.
7) Take a bigger ball of dough based on the breadth of your vessel; roll it in a tubular form and wrap it around the edges of
the lid and vessel sealing off the openings completely.
8) Since the food is half cooked already, let it cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove and place a tawa and let it
9) Once hot place the biryani vessel over the tawa and let it cook for 20-25 minutes over medium heat.
10) Once done remove from heat but do not open the lid for at least 10 minutes.
11) Break off the seal, gradually fold the rice ensuring you don`t break the long grains.
12) Garnish and serve with yogurt and accompaniments of your choice.
1) The biggest challenge in making biryani lies in retaining the texture and length of the long grain rice. If trying for the
first time use biryani rice or jeera rice and always use the best quality basmati rice or long grain rice.
Time taken: Resting time - 3-4 hours, cooking time - 1 hr.
Long grain rice- 2 cup
Bay leaf- 2-3
Cardamoms- 2-3 pods (bruised)
Ghee- 1 tsp
mint leaves- 1/2 cup
star anise- 1
cinnamon- 1-2 small piece
water- as required
salt- according to taste
Meat of Choice Chicken/ Lamb- 600 gms
Onion- 2 (thin sliced)
Tomato- 2 (chopped)
Oil- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 2tbsp (optional)
Cinnamon sticks- 2 (small pieces)
salt- according to taste
sugar - 1/4 tsp
Biryani masala - 2 tbsp store bought or Make at home: Roast and grind to powder 4-5 cloves, 1-2 small piece cinnamon stick, 3-4 cardamom, 1 tsp shahi jeera,
For meat marinade:
Salt, according to taste
Red chilli powder- 2 tbsp
Coriander powder- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
Curd- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green chili- 2 (slit and deseeded)
Milk- 1/4 cup
Saffron strands- 5-6 (add it to the milk)
Pudina/ mint- 1/2 cup
Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
Salt- according to taste
Saffron soaked in milk (1/ cup)
Ghee- 1/2 cup