Method Egg curry is an easy to make, simple and delightful dish. The eggs floating in the bed of ground and fried spices that bring an instant smile to your face. A non-vegetarian would always have a challenge eating food without a non-vegetarian dish as the main or side dish. Egg curry simply makes for an absolute substitute. In some states, egg curry is made in a lavish manner. Some regions drop boiled egg in the curry and some just break the egg and let it cook in the gravy, giving it a very rustic appeal.
Boil eggs, remove the shells and keep aside.
Just before tempering the ingredients take milk and curd in a blending jar and add half the amount of tomato and seasoning ingredients in it. Churn till its a fine thick liquid. It should be in the consistency of a smoothie. Keep aside.
1) In a heavy bottom wok add oil and heat.
2) Temper the curry leaves, mustard seed cumin seeds and asafoetida
3) Add the chopped garlic and onion and saute till golden brown.
4) Add the ginger and garlic paste till the raw smell is gone and you see the oil on the surface.
5) Add the tomato and mix well along with the onion and ginger - garlic paste.
6) Add the seasoning and stir well again. Let it cook till the oil comes to the surface.
7) Doing so will give you well mashed and pulpy masala. Once you see the oil on the surface or the masala leaving the sides of the pan, reduce heat completely.
8) Take the ground mixture of milk and curd and put it in the wok, gradually stirring and blending it well.
9) Keep the flame completely till the mixture is well blended with the masala.
10) You should get a rich colour once you add the milk mixture.
11) Cook for another 4-5 minutes, till you see bubble and oil on the surface.
12) Remove and add the eggs to the curry.
13) Garnish it with coriander and serve with accompaniments of your choice.
1) Milk is not mandatory, however, it adds to the rich texture of the curry. You could add poppy seeds and cashew too to make the gravy richer. The addition of cashew and poppy could make it a very sophisticated dish.
2) You could increase the quantity of the chilly powder and other spices as addition of curd and milk would reduce the heat of the curry.
Time taken: Prep time - 15 mins, cooking time - 15 mins