Take one part thick curd and two parts water and blend to make buttermilk.
Pre heat the oven at 300 degree centigrade
Life is fast like microwaves and indeed in most of the households today buy a microwave as an important kitchen appliance.
The biggest question lies in how much of the microwave is actually used. It`s hilarious that though many shell out a bomb to buy high end convection style microwave ovens they do not use it to do even one quarter of dishes a microwave can actually cook.
It was a huge debate in the bygone days when the microwave was launched that it could not bake or grill. True! The microwave oven could not bake well. However, with changing technologies microwave ovens too have undergone tremendous changes in the way they perform. And to say that these ovens are incapable of baking is only a farce. If you had to bake a cake in a microwave oven all you need to do is follow the instructions to the T. There are always trials and errors but invariably the result is a successful one. You have to bare in mind that different microwave ovens have different specifications and that`s what you need to be mindful about.
Baking in a microwave oven, especially a cake, is actually a piece of cake!
1) With a hand blender or blender jar add the sugar (if using granulated). Powder it down till fine.
2) Add the butter and beat with the sugar till creamy.
3) Add the buttermilk and blend till creamy and frothy. Add the vanilla extract and blend again.
4) Add the baking soda and blend and leave till you see bubbles on the liquid surface. Add apple sauce/ pulp and blend again till completely mashed
5)Sieve the dry ingredients two to three times to remove any lumps.
6) Gradually fold in the liquid to the dry ingredients till you get a lump free batter. Do not mix rigorously
7) Transfer the batter to a greased microwave dish or casserole. Bake it for three minutes using the combi option or the option on your microwave for 2-3 minutes. Once the timer rings rotate the cake and check if done and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
8) Insert a long needle or toothpick to check if the cake is done.
9) Once done remove and let it cool.
10) Flip it over a plate and release the cake from the bake tin.
11) Garnish or serve with accompaniments of your choice.
1) Different microwaves have different specifications hence read the instructions and bake accordingly. When trying for the first time, it`s best to try out a small batch first to see the timing the cake would require.
2) This cake can be made in two batches and can be assembled as a layer cake.
Time taken: Prep time - 10-15 mins, bake time - 4-5 mins