All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking soda - 3/4 tsp
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Water - 1 cup
Apple - 2 (Peel, core in the middle and make 5-6 thick slices)
Chopped pistachios or almonds for garnishing
Oil for frying - flat pan should be fine instead of deep vessel
For making sugar syrup:
Sugar - 1 1/4 cup ( If you are going to have with Rabri then reduce 1/4 cup)
Water - 1 cup
Cardamom - 3 pods powdered
1. Sieve all purpose flour and baking soda.
2. Mix yogurt and water along with this flour and ferment it overnight.
3. Slice the apples. Parallely prepare the syrup in one side.
4. Heat the oil in the pan.
5. Add sugar and water in a vessel, after the dissolves and the syrup starts to boil.
6. Check for the sticky consistency. (It has to be little more sticky than the syrup that we prepare for Jamuns)then add powdered cardamom. And keep it aside. Let it be warm.
7. Once the oil is ready, just check for the right temperature by dropping little batter. When it pops up, you can get started.
8. Now check the fermented batter, if it is very thick add little water for diluting. Take care not to add more water then it will not coat the apples.
9. Now dip the apple slices in the batter like we do for Bhaji or Pakoras. The put it in the oil.
10. Let it fry and once it is slight golden brown in color, flip it over another side.
11. Drain the Jalebi with your ladle put them in the syrup, flip both the sides. Put them in the wire rack to drain excess syrup.
12. Proceed with remaining apple slices.
13. Arrange them in the plate and garnish with nuts.
1. The batter you are fermenting should not be very sour. If the weather is very hot just ferment it for 5 hrs or so.
2. Serve jalebi warm, to enjoy them fresh and crispy.
You can make this a day before or ahead of time, and refrigerate it.
Milk - 5 cups
Pistachio - 1/3 cup ( chopped very very finely)
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Saffron threads - just a pinch
1. Boil the milk in the heavy bottom vessel.
2. Let the boil until it reduces to 1 1/2 cup , now add sugar.
3. Let it come to one boil. Add the chopped Pistachios.
4.Add saffron and cool it aside.
5. Refrigerate it. Serve with warm and crispy jalebis
Recipe and image: Dishes from My Kitchen