300g - plain flour/maida
300g - brown sugar
100g - powdered white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp - vanilla essence
300g - butter
1 tsp - nutmeg powder
1 tsp - cinnamon powder
3 tbsp - date syrup
300g - dried fruit
50g - orange/lemon peel
250 ml rum or brandy
1. Soak the dried fruit and orange/lemon peel in rum or brandy for about 1 month.
2. Just before using, strain and mix in 3 tablespoons of flour to it. Keep aside.
3. Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar well.
4. Add the beaten eggs, date syrup and vanilla essence and mix well.
5. Add the orange/lemon peel and dried fruits, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder and mix well Slowly add the flour and fold in well.
6. If the mixture is too thick add a little milk.
7. Pour into a greased and papered baking tin or dish and bake in a slow oven for about 40 to 45 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool. (Ice this cake only when completely cold)
Recipe and image courtesy: Anglo-Indian Recipes