2/3 cup dry peas (soak for 6 hours in water)
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
1 tsp. red chilli powder
3/4 tsp. dhania (coriander seeds) powder
3/4 tsp. amchoor powder or juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. wheat flour
1/2 tsp. each mustard and cumin seeds
3 pinches asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tsbp. oil
1. Add plenty of water and pressure cook peas till very tender to touch. (approx. 4 whistles should suffice).
2. Cool cooker before opening lid.
3. Drain, wash with running water, drain, keep aside.
4. Mix all dry masala and salt in 1/2 cup water.
5. Heat oil in heavy saucepan.
6. Add seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida. Allow to splutter.
7. Add masala mixture, cooked peas, 1/4 cup water, and mix well.
8. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 3-4 minutes.
9. When almost all water evaporates, sprinkle flour, mix and remove from fire.
10. Cover and keep aside for 2-3 minutes.
11. Pour into serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander.
12. Serve hot with rice or chapathi.