1. In a skillet heat 1 tsp of oil, add fennel, bay leaf, onions etc and saute until aromatic.
2. Then add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, spices along with chillies and saute it with some salt for few more minutes.
3. Add the soya granules.
4. There are two ways of going about this. Usually the packet suggests to soak the granules/chunks in some warm water and then add it to the recipe. OR you can add it directly to the recipe but increase the quantity of water in the recipe and it works equally well.
5. Follow whichever method works for you.
6. Then add the rice and saute for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add 2&1/2 cups of water (or vegetable stock) along with salt.
8. Close it with a lid and cook for 6-10 minutes.
9. When almost done, add the frozen peas to the rice and give it a gentle stir. Cook for a minute
10. Garnish with the herbs. if you have finicky kids, then add some ghee or butter right at the end for additional taste.
11. Serve it warm garnished with toasted peanuts; serve with raita or a spicy side dish.