1. Sieve flour with salt into a flat dish.
2. Pour the milk and some water and knead to a smooth dough. Cover with cloth and set aside for 1 hour.
3. Knock back the dough, add the vanaspati, ajwain and crushed fennel seeds and knead well till the dough is soft. Make 12-15 balls and keep aside covered with a wet cloth for 1 hour.
4. Roll out into a disc about 5 inches in diameter, layer with vanaspati and dust with some flour.
5. Cut a radius and keeping the centre as pivot, roll into a cone. Cut the top of the cone and insert at the back. Flatten the dough with your palm to make a pedha.
6. Repeat for all the others, dust with flour, separate by butter or brown paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
7. Shallow fry fry on a tawa till golden brown and serve hot. (Serves - 4)