Method Just like chole bhature, poori masala is another marriage of two standalone food items that together taste delicious. The northern states of India serve these deep fried puffy pooris just about every day especially for breakfast. Fame for good things always spreads fast and poori masala is no exception.
In several south Indian restaurants poori masala is more in demand as evening munch than the staple south Indian dishes. It is oily and fattening and, it is certainly not the food for weight watchers. But, once in a while it`s alright to try out this scrumptious dish.
Boil the potatoes till soft. Remove skin and mash with a potato masher. Keep aside.
Boil the green peas. Ensure it`s not cooked to a squishy consistency but cooked enough and still holds its shape.
Coriander, finely chopped
Pickled green chilli
Method: For poori:
1) Sieve the flour together to ensure there are no lumps.
2) Make a well in the flour and pour water gradually. Bring together the flour in circular motions with your hand.
3) Once the flour is combined give it a knead and keep it covered with a damp kitchen towel in a warm place
4) Meanwhile you could prepare the masala.
5) After some time knead the dough on an oiled surface till you get a smooth non-sticky dough of elastic like consistency.
6) Make small balls out of the dough and roll on a floured surface with a rolling pin just like how you`d roll out your roti or chapathi. Just make sure the size of the puri is smaller than the roti`s. This will help the poori fluff well.
7) Heat oil in a wok for deep frying. Ensure the oil is very hot before you slide in the discs/poori.
8) Slide the disk and flip when it puffs and turns golden brown.
1) In a heavy bottom wok add oil and heat.
2) Temper the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Add the cloves, cardamom, and garlic. Fry till you get the aroma ensuring the garlic is not burnt.
3) Add onion and brown it followed ginger and garlic paste. Cook it till the raw smell is gone.
3) Add the tomato and seasoning and let it cook till well mashed.
4) Add the mashed potato and peas and give a good stir.
5) You could let the vegetable cook on sim and serve as a solid dish or add some water and dilute it a bit. Garnish with coriander.
6) Serve with hot pooris and raita
Time taken: Prep time - 35-40 min, cooking time - 20-30 min