Method A deliciously light meal option, corn soup is loaded with health benefits and is ideal for weight watchers.
Along with the nutritional benefits, the soup tingles your taste buds accompanied with toasted bread or fried croutons. You could make the same soup rich by adding bechamel sauce and you`d get restaurant style soup right on your dining table.
Any soup for that matter makes a cold winter`s day extremely comfortable and is a quick body warmer - what stands out about corn soup is the simplicity of making it.
1) In a broad sauce pan add the vegetable / chicken stock.
2) To the stock add all the seasoning ingredients.
3) Stir well and add the chopped vegetables except corn kernels.
4) Corn kernels if left to boil too long will lose its sugar content and will taste bad hence add it only in the last 5-6 minutes of the stock boiling.
5) Once the stock comes to a boil and the vegetables are tender and not mushy turn of the heat.
6) In another add corn flour, Maida and all the seasoning ingredients and stir continuously while the elements are added.
7) Add the creme and keep stirring the flour to avoid any lump. Ensure this is done off the heat. Once the flour and cream combine well and you get a pourable consistency of liquid, place the pan on heat continuing to stir.
8) Add the butter and keep whisking, you will find the liquid thickening, this will be your white sauce.
9) add the corn and the stock to the prepared sauce or vice versa and keep stirring else you'd end up with lump of flour in your soup.
10) Cook for an additional 5-6 minute till you get a creamy consistency of the soup.
11) Garnish with coriander or spring onions accompanied with toasted wheat bread.
1) You could boil the corn cob in water and separate the kernels easily by using a knife.
2) You could remove the sauce completely and instead saute some onions with butter, add the corn kernels and stock. Let it come to a boil and then just blend it to a puree with a stick blender. Pour 2-3 eggs in a stringy fashion over the soup and let it simmer. Add the seasoning and just eat.
3) You can replace the butter with olive oil and make it healthier.
Time Taken- Prep time -20-25 min, Cooking time- 15-20 min.