In a glass jar, spread some of the cubes and sprinkle some salt over it.
Add a few more cubes and make another layer.
Sprinkle some more salt.
Repeat the process for the remaining mango cubes and keep aside.
Powder the mustard seeds and red chilies to a fine mixture.
Add hing, turmeric and mix well.
Note: DO NOT add any water while powdering the spices in the blender/mixie.
Add the powdered spices to the mango-salt mixture and mix well with the help of a long spoon.
Close the lid of the jar tightly.
Relish with idlis, dosas,akki rottis, curd rice.
1. Choose mangoes carefully; the mangoes should be sour and hard.
2. The pickle may seem a little dry on the first day, but DO NOT add any water; the mangoes will give out enough water in a day or two.
3. Though this pickle can be eaten with any south indian dish, curd rice & pickle is the most famous combination.
4. Though this pickle is sort of instant and can be used right away, it tastes great after a couple of days when the mangoes would have absorbed the masalas.
5. This pickle cannot be stored for too long; its average shelf life is about 1-1.5 months. As days go by, the mangoes would start becoming soft and start dissolving in the gravy.