Method Avial stands as a side dish as well as gravy for main course. It`s a versatile dish with a lot of nutritional benefits. A
vegetarian`s delight, avial is a hearty dish of utmost importance to the Malayali community. It definitely has secured a
unique place in Tamil cuisines too.
Clean and dice all vegetables evenly. All vegetables require different cooking time hence except the carrots, beans, yam
pressure cook other vegetables till par boiled. Remove from hot water and keep aside to avoid further cooking. Do not throw
away the water if any. You could either cook the carrot, beans, yam seperately or add it with the masala and let cook.
In a blender the coconut and water and grind till its a finely ground. Remove the paste and squeeze milk out through a
strainer. Do not throw away the coconut fibre along with the coconut fibre, add more coconut, green chillies, jeera and
garlic in a chutney blender and make a paste. Keep aside.
In the blender add the curd and beat it well, keep aside.
In a heavy bottom wok add coconut oil and temper mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida.
To the tempered oil add the coconut masala, give it a good stir.
Reduce the heat completely and add the seasoning, followed by the curd and coconut milk. Stir well to avoid curdling.
Add the par boiled vegetables at this stage and givea good stir again.
Let it simmer for 10-15 mins further for the flavors to incorporate.
Once the gravy thickens you will know its ready.
1) You can replace coconut oil with vegetable oil too. That will sure change a lot about the dish but tastes good
2) You could either pre cook the raw mango in which case it would become squishy or add it towards the end, letting it simmer
in the last 15 mins.
3) Avial is all about a mix of various vegetables hence just pick vegetables that will cook well retain its shape and not
become squishy spoiling the appeal factor of the dish. If using cucumber ensure you remove the seeds.
4) You could increase the quantity of curd and coconut milk to make it more rich and make it as gravy instead of side
5) Turmeric is optional and is used mainly to add colour. You could omit it completely if you`d like.
6) Traditionally the vegetables are blended well with the coconut milk and curd and then the tempering is poured over. This
technique enhances the flavour however the suggested method here will not hamper the flavours in any way too.
Time taken: Preparation time - 20-25 mins, cooking time - 20-25 min